Sunday, July 31, 2016

Juan Rulfo is so Strange

I was squatting on a rock, not doing anything,
only sitting there with my pants down 
so they would see me like that and wouldn't come near me.

Yo estaba acuclillado en una piedra, sin hacer nada, 
solamente sentado alli con los pantalones caidos 
para que ellas me vieran asi y no se me arrimaran.
                                                
                            Juan Rulfo, Anacleto Morones

I just finished reading El Llano en Llamas by the Mexican writer Juan Rulfo.  These stories are fascinating, very Mexican, creepy, Poe-like.  He only wrote two books, the other was Pedro Paramo a short novel with strange distortions of memory and mixing of the real and the supernatural.  Always grim, fatalistic, morbid, but these are stories with characters, motives, plots and mood that transcend common writing.

No comments: