Friday, June 23, 2023

Lemond Tourmalet Road Bike


 I love the simplicity and utility of a road bike.  My wife gave me this one for my birthday over ten years ago.  Other than a few minor adjustments needed, it still works like new.

In my teens and twenties, I was almost married to my road bike.  I took it everywhere, being, otherwise without transportation.  I would ride fifty to seventy miles a day.  My routine in the summer was to bicycle to Walden Pond in Concord to swim, walk around the pond and bicycle back.  I would take it home from Umass Amherst instead of asking my Dad to drive me.  I would ride to Hampton beach where my family went on vacation every summer.  In the early days of working carpentry, I tried to use it too, but the exigencies of carrying materials and arriving at disparate locations on time made me switch over to the internal combustion engine.  I have since driven the equivalent of to the moon and back a dozen times over, but I still feel most at home on one of these.

No comments: