Thursday, April 08, 2004

Not Unconsarned

“Why, the sun’s in the suds and the moon in the high Horicks; there’s a clipstick comin; an’, an’; there you’re both as unconsarned as if it was about to rain mether. Go out and cross youselves three times in the name o; the four Mandromarvins, for as prophecy says: -fill the pot, Eddy, supernaculum- a blazing star’s a rare spectaculum. Go out both of you and look at the sun, I say, an’ ye’ll see the condition he’s in -off!

Simply said, there’s too much work and no conceivable way to leverage it. I had a business plan once, two in fact that served me well for many years. Then I changed my plan when I thought I could actually get a job as a teacher, a real job with security and stuff like that, and still be able to dabble in business in the summers. The painters working with me now are all retired teachers with pensions. But now I think it is not feasible to get a job as a teacher or to survive financially on a starting salary, especially with the onerous payments I must make to my dear ex-wife. I need to make decisions about what kind of jobs I will do and what kind of help I will have to have to do them. I also need to decide how to work with M; I need his help but remain reluctant to make a partnership. He lost his shirt on the last job he did himself, that is what it takes to learn. perhaps he will try again, but then I will have to hire someone, (something like adopting a child). S will work for me this summer and perhaps his friend G.
Some options for a plan are: spec building, which is very high risk, competitive and requires capital investment, another is custom home building which is what I am doing now. This job has been good to do so far, financially and has been enjoyable; if all continues to go well, I may be recommended to do more. Building is a different game from the remodeling which I usually do. My weakest point is slowness in returning with estimates followed by a lack of a consistent, skilled crew. Yes it would be wonderful to be able to put my son through college, buy a small home, travel a little each year and stay out of the poor house in old age.

S has not been home this evening, it is not like him not to let me know where he is going.

No comments: